[Terrapreta] Soil Capacity Issue

Sol Shapiro somarl at msn.com
Wed Jun 6 10:33:35 EDT 2007

I am very concerned that the world will not change its energy base before we see major disaster.  As such, I have looked at various short term solutions.  Geoengineering, probably using long lived particles in the upper atmosphere to reduce incoming solar flux and re-balance the Earth's interchange with the universe.
I am very interested in any alternative approaches which have the capacity to slow global warming in the short term.  Hence the capacity issue of terrapreta is important.  I saw a number of 2-4 tons of CO2 per acre;  which for 6 billion tons per year takes 2 to 5 million square miles (about the total area of the United States).  This would not be a major issue worldwide for one or several years CO2.  So the question is, is there a turnover in capture capability?  And the second question of cost and complexity to spread the capability to the farmers of the world.
Sol Shapiro
Aurora, Colorado
+1 303 693-3591