[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Wed Jun 6 12:55:43 CDT 2007

Sean,

I believe, in concept, Canada could sell credits under the Joint
Implementation (JI) part of Kyoto as Russia plans to do.

http://unfccc.int/files/press/news_room/press_releases_and_advisories/applic
ation/pdf/20070601_english.pdf

However, since our emissions are already some 35% above the Kyoto limit and
rising - except for the last year we counted - there is not much chance of
that. As a result Canada is positioned to potentially be a big buyer under
the Clean Development Mechanism and thus could be stuck with a major part of
the expense of paying for Kyoto. That is why - to me as a Canadian taxpayer
- the best part of the Kyoto Protocol is the withdrawal clause.

I've read the Kyoto Protocol quite carefully over the years from 1997.  It,
its predecessors, its successors, and the United Nations Framework
Convention on Climate change are an exceedingly complex set of interlocking
documents and agreements. It might be better to go to the source instead of
Wikipedia. At the very least, the United Nations Work on climate change is
quite extensively and publicly documented. Canada's government, whether
through bureaucratic meddling, incompetency, or government policy has
managed to lose, about a year ago, most of its public documentation of a
very thorough and expensive study of greenhouse gas management undertaken by
government, industry and environmental groups.  Here is the UNFCCC site.

http://unfccc.int/2860.php

Duane