[Terrapreta] some thoughts on charcoal production and transportation

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Thu Mar 8 10:48:38 CST 2007

Group

This is just some over the horizon thoughts I am having this morning
before i leave for my late appearance at work.

In light of comments by:

Lehmann,J, Gaunt, J and Rondon, M,  In Bio-char sequestration in
terrestial ecosystems – a review, Mitigation and adaptionation
strategies for global change (2006) 11: 403-727,

The benefits from Pyrolysis of forest and agricultural wastes with
utilization of energy  and changing from  slash and burn to slash and
char can exceed current emissions from fossil fuels.

With eventual emergence of biochar as a viable soil supplement and
linked with the process that Epidra has secured to sequester SOx,NOx,
and CO2 from coal combustion at from what I understand as a multiple
ratio might there be a venture capital driven future for biochar much
like present day ethanol where decentralized biochar production
sources will be feeding coal power plants for carbon dioxide and N20
capture, using the same rail grid that supplies their fuel?

Also is comparison to biogas , pyrolysis can be really carbon
negative when the N2O is captured. I was  interested to learn from
this paper that in row crops the '100 year' impact of N20 emissions
is is 296 times more than CO2.

What we are getting in Whatcom county for the economically stressed
industrial dairy industry is bio-gas. Such a  dairy waste water and
solids treatment system  is a prolific emitter of N20.

ref -Robertson, G, Interrelationship of the nitrogen cycle and carbon
sequestratin: greenhouse gas mitigation in row crops , http://
oznet.ksu.edu/ctecCASMGnewsletter/jan04-1.htm

Does anyone have any citations for N20 emissions from a 2000 cow
dairy manure digester? How does such a digester compare to say a 100
mw coal plant?

Rich Haard