[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Robert Niederman rniederman at cegworldwide.com
Sun Mar 25 21:09:43 CDT 2007

Hello Everyone Participating in this excellent conversation!

I have a question.  I've run across this concept that making charcoal
actually ""sequesters" carbon.  Sequester a beautiful word.  But what
does it actually mean when it comes to making charcoal?  Every fire I
have seen, including those made with charcoal have lots of smoke.  Yes,
we have carbon in the charcoal.  But we also have about half of it in
the atmosphere. Where does the "sequestering" come in?  Are we saying
that by making charcoal we are pulling the carbon out of the
decomposition chain which occurs when we compost?

Bob Niederman