[Terrapreta] USDA organic certification standards

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Wed Mar 28 18:28:57 CDT 2007

Dear Tom,

Maybe we should be Terra Preta Farmers? We would write our own rules and
regulations. Later, if we find the time, we could help the organic farmers
rewrite their rules! Get the idea?

Just a though,

Jeff

Tom wrote:
If there is a special value of charcoal for the organic farmer then we need
to start the process to make sure that the door is not closed to charcoal in
this high value market.  Organic farmers may be more disposed to using
charcoal than others.

Douglas Clayton wrote:
Ran across this last night:
§205.203 Soil fertility and crop nutrient management practice standard.
1. Standards require organic producers to select tools (e.g., tillers,
plows) and practices that maintain
improve soil quality and minimize soil erosion.
2. Producers are required to utilize crop rotations, cover crops and plant
and animal materials
maintain or improve soil organic matter content in a manner that does not
contribute to contamination
of crops, soil, or water by plant nutrients, pathogens, heavy metals, or
residues of prohibited substances.
3. Prohibits the use of raw manure unless it is incorporated into the soil
more than 120 days prior
harvest for crops for human consumption whose edible portion is in direct
contact with the soil
particles; or 90 days prior to harvest for crops whose edible portion does
not contact soil or soil
4. Defines compost as material that has an initial C:N ratio of between 25:1
and 40:1. Requires
to reach specific temperature parameters for specific time periods. If
produced according to requirements,
compost can be applied at any time.
5. Allows use of uncomposted plant materials.
6. Allows mined substances of low solubility.
7. Allows the use of fertility inputs on the National List. Prohibits the
use of synthetic fertilizers
National List.
8. Prohibits the burning of crop residues, except to prevent disease or to
stimulate seed germination.
9. Ash from the burning of plant or animal material is allowed, but manure
ash is prohibited.
10. Micronutrient trace minerals may be used when soil deficiency is
documented by testing.
Micronutrients must not be used as defoliants, herbicides, or desiccants.
Nitrate and chloride
prohibited.

--
Jeff Davis

Some where 20 miles south of Lake Erie, USA