[Terrapreta] USDA organic certification standards

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Mar 28 18:51:59 CDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

I like that idea;  have organic and industrial farmers aspire to become "Terra Preta farmers".

I read through parts of that "NOPSummary2006.pdf" document that Doug Clayton referenced.  The title of that document is "USDA NAtional Organic Program Rule Summary".  I called the office of one of the authors, Jim Riddle.  I spoke with one of his associates, a Joyce Ford about what it would take to get charcoal approved as a soil amendment for organic farmers to use.  She immediately referred me not to section 205.203, but rather to 205.600. ... to wit ...

Section 205.601 goes on to list allowed substances used in the production of organic crops (charcoal is not there, YET!) and section 205.602 list prohibited substances (charcoal isn't there, YEAH!).

Ms. Ford also referred me to an organization in Eugene, Oregon, called the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI).  This group is an example of a group people (ther are others, I guess), who we would need to convince, so that they would put "charcoal" on the NOP Rules Summary as an approved substance to use as a soil amendment in the production of organic crops.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC