[Terrapreta] CCS-Caps and trade or Carbon tax (where is buried charcoal?)

mmbtupr at aol.com mmbtupr at aol.com
Sun Nov 4 15:46:28 EST 2007

     from  Lewis L Smith

Quite a few years ago, I worked on a carbon-tax proposal which was
presented to Congress.

[ It was not approved !  At the time, crude oil was around $25 per
barrel.  ]

My recall is that this is tricky subject. If, to keep collections
simple, you impose it as close to "the mine mouth" as possible, the end
result can sometimes be quite unexpected and disconcerting, in terms of
increases in the prices of specific final goods and services, as the
carbon wends its way through the labyrinth of economic relationships.

On the other hand, if one imposes it farther "downstream" [ as they say
in the oil industry ] it can become fairly difficult to calculate the
"carbon content" of a given good or service.

I'm sure that there is a great deal of literature on how to deal with
this problem, some of it with sound advice, a literature which I have
studiously avoided reading after my "baptism of fire" !

However, the foregoing is a point to keep in mind.

Cordially. ###