[Terrapreta] Subject: Re: An interesting conversation on CO2 if interested

Douglas Clayton dnclayton at wildblue.net
Mon Nov 12 16:59:15 EST 2007

Bakary,

I'm enjoying your posts.  I am behind in keeping up with the tp
discussions and so don't know how long it has been since John Todd's
"Creating World Class Soils" has been mentioned and I wanted to make
sure everyone was aware of it.

http://www.oceanarks.org/annals/articles/world%20soils/index.php

This paragraph in particular is of interest here:

  This winter (2007) in Costa Rica, during the dry and windy weather, we
attempted an experiment to combine terra preta formation with
composting. Trenches were dug to a depth of about a meter and a half.
Tree limbs and branches were placed in the bottom of the trenches and
set on fire. Once combustion was initiated, green organic matter and
soil were added on top of the burning limbs to slow the combustion and
lower oxygen levels. This resulted in charcoal formation. As the pile
cooled, green matter mainly banana stocks, was added, as was soil with
clay in order to inoculate the compost. In the future the trenches will
be dug along the contour lines on the slopes of hills. The hillside
contours, which are planted on the downward side with vetiver grass,
will not only control runoff and capture moisture; they will be
powerful sinks for nutrients. This will prevent the leaching of
nutrients down the hill and away from the farm.

peace,

Doug Clayton

On Nov 12, 2007, at 12:39 PM, bakaryjatta wrote:

> Dear lou and list members,
>
> If we link TP and sequestering CO2 with Agricultural systems, let us
> go a
> step
> further. Soil erosion is a major disaster world wide, especially when
> people
> are trying to farm marginal lands on side hills and other problem
> sites. A
> successful technology
> introduced in many countries is the use of Vetiver grass to make low
> contour
> bunds permanent. It is not invasive and is a survivor. It traps soil
> and
> debris and breaks the force of run off water.
> The grass has roots that penetrate soil to a depth of up to
> three meters. It gets established within a short time and it probably
> sequesters CO2 more effectively than several other plant species. Add
> some
> biochar when planting to optimize the process right from the start and
> you
> have added another plus to increased agricultural production. For more
> info
> about the technology go to www.vetiver.org .
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Bakary Jatta