[Terrapreta] reduction by fire vs. water

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Thu Nov 22 12:44:15 EST 2007

i'm at an organic raspberry farm in concord, MA.  when i drove in, i
saw a huge pile of very dark -- almost black -- organic matter, and
thought someone had made a giant heap of charcoal -- easily over 100
tons.  but it proved to be dredgings from a boggy pond.  the organic
matter on the pond bottom decomposes in an oxygen-deprived
environment, similar to a pyrolysis chamber, and thus the material is
reduced instead of oxidized.  hence the carbon-black residue.

i have little notion how this water-formed, reduced carbon compares
physically, chemically and culturally with fire-produced char, but it
definitely makes a significant contribution to soil organic matter
content and thus fertility and productivity.  however, i would expect
this dark pond-bottom-muck has a much different microbial community
due to its watery origin and formation.  anaerobic fermentation and
digestion by bacteria does not seem at all like the fiery degradation
of pyrolysis, and would not leave behind the same kinds of volatile
organic compounds as nutrient sources for soil organisms.  yet, nature
is forgiving, since we know muckland from drained swamps is highly
productive agricultural soil.  however, i believe mucklands degrade
rapidly with intensive use, since carbon and other organic residues
are rapidly oxidized and volatilized, resulting in rapid loss of that
rich, black topsoil.

by contrast, degradation of organic matter by fire seems to result in
a carbon residue that is "recalitrant" and resists all sorts of normal
chemical oxidation and biological digestion.

david