[Terrapreta] reduction by fire vs. water

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Nov 22 13:13:09 EST 2007

Dear David

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com wrote:
> i'm at an organic raspberry farm in concord, MA.  when i drove in, i
> saw a huge pile of very dark -- almost black -- organic matter, and
> thought someone had made a giant heap of charcoal -- easily over 100
> tons.  but it proved to be dredgings from a boggy pond.  the organic
> matter on the pond bottom decomposes in an oxygen-deprived
> environment, similar to a pyrolysis chamber, and thus the material is
> reduced instead of oxidized.  hence the carbon-black residue.

Wow!! Sounds like an enormous resource for your raspberries!! Could you
consider teh possibility of running a test with the bog dredgings, as a
"Natural TP" and another test with charcoal, for "Man-Made TP"?
> i have little notion how this water-formed, reduced carbon compares
> physically, chemically and culturally with fire-produced char, but it
> definitely makes a significant contribution to soil organic matter
> content and thus fertility and productivity.  however, i would expect
> this dark pond-bottom-muck has a much different microbial community
> due to its watery origin and formation.  anaerobic fermentation and
> digestion by bacteria does not seem at all like the fiery degradation
> of pyrolysis, and would not leave behind the same kinds of volatile
> organic compounds as nutrient sources for soil organisms.
Certainly, bog dredgings would have their own unique array of anaerobic
life forms. And fresh char would be expected to have no content of life
forms. Research seems to suggest that it takes 2 to 4 years for a
charcoal based TP plot to come up to full production. A simple
explanation could be that this is how long it takes the charcoal to get
populated with the required life forms.
>   yet, nature
> is forgiving, since we know muckland from drained swamps is highly
> productive agricultural soil.  however, i believe mucklands degrade
> rapidly with intensive use, since carbon and other organic residues
> are rapidly oxidized and volatilized, resulting in rapid loss of that
> rich, black topsoil.

Of course, intense "robber farming" would be expected to degrade the soil.
> by contrast, degradation of organic matter by fire seems to result in
> a carbon residue that is "recalitrant" and resists all sorts of normal
> chemical oxidation and biological digestion.

Sure, the charcoal  might be resistant to consumption under "robber
farming" circumstances, but the productivity could be expected to drop
also. All complete references I have seen about Terra Preta stress the
need for replenishment of both mineral and biological nutrients.

Best wishes,

Kevin