[Terrapreta] I question compost and charcoal

Jim Joyner jimstoytn at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 12:17:37 EST 2007

Assuming that charcoal enhances compost, there are some other things to consider.

This might be a great boon to folks wanting to apply charcoal to perennials after they are planted. Obviously, your not going to dig up you apple trees or grapes to blend charcoal into the soil. Applying charcoal topically probably won't work. As my friend Kevin has told me, "worms are smart", they are not going to eat and redeposit charcoal. If, however, you want to apply the charcoal before planting, one would probably apply the charcoal directly to the soil and not bother with compost.

If you are a no-till farmer (like myself), it is very difficult to apply compost effectively or economically.
 I grow most all of the applied (if you will) biomass right in the soil. So I still have to apply the charcoal directly to the soil at the get-go.

If everyone used no till, as I believe they should (get rid of your plows and tillers!), then adding charcoal to compost is not the way to apply it. Of course, there is still the possibility charcoal will improve compost. My question is, unless it is a matter of not having another source of replacement nutirent, why go to all the work of making compost when you can grow the biomass? And, with charcoal already in the soil, likely, even the need for growing biomass is reduced.

Jim