[Terrapreta] (no subject)

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Nov 25 12:55:14 EST 2007

From: Jim Joyner <jimstoytn at yahoo.com>
Date: November 24, 2007 10:04:17 AM PST
To: terrapreta at bioenergylists.org
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] FIeld and Nursery Trials

Jim - Are you the fellow with whom I had a telephone conversation
several months ago from midwest?? I'm not on the reading list at the
moment and Larry sent your narrative to me.

Tom, Let's see, 30 gallons (assuming 231 cu inches per gallon) is
about 4 cu ft or 52 pounds for 85 sq feet, which is about 13 tons an
acre.

Be interesting to know how they arrived at that rate.

Conversations with Christoph Steiner and a researcher in Australia.
Steiner was critical of the rate I first proposed and suggested less,
and I drew back my rate to within the normal range of organic matter
in our sandy loam soil (4-10%). If I was able to find a positive
effect then I would work back to lower rates in followup treatments.

It is interesting that the second round of soil analysis have showed
higher organic matter (not consistently though), in charcoal treated
soil (with higher OM generally in every sample including controls).
This could be an artifact of the soil analysis method, a sampling
problem, or some sort of biological effect. Soil nitrate in all 28
samples tested this fall ranged between 0 to 1 ppm or essentially
zero. This means to me that this limiting element is tied up at the
moment as more complex forms or as living biomass -- or is gone.  In
late spring, May or so, after the soil has warmed up I will repeat
the analysis, ($336.00 at UMass), to see what has happened to OM and
nitrogen going into the next growing season.

It still looks like there response was positive.

Careful, Looking at the pictures of the Loncera involucrata I see
subtile above ground differences associated with charcoal 1 - the
treatment set shown. On the other 2 crops tested (swiss chard and
Aster subspicatus) I could detect no consistent above ground
differences within the same treatment blocks linked to charcoal. More
later.

Rich H