[Terrapreta] Fwd: compost and charcoal

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Nov 25 13:14:49 EST 2007

The meaning of "charcoal" in the US has simply changed. Until 1925
"charcoal" meant charcoal, lump or sold in various fine grades. Now most
people think it means charcoal briquettes.

In the 1920s Henry Ford was faced with a shortage of wood alcohol which was
used as a solvent in lacquers and as anti-freeze. So he built a sawmill, a
(wood) auto body plant and a wood distillation plant to make his own in
Michigan.

"The wood distillation plant was a 400 ton per day wood waste pyrolysis
plant. . .The installation was a Stafford-Badger continuous vertical retort
system which daily produced: 120 tons of charcoal for outside sale, producer
gas which was used in company boilers, 5,800 gallons of ethyl acetate to
make lacquer, and 3,800 gallons of chemicals for sale to other firms. It was
at the time the largest pyrolysis installation built and operated." When
markets couldn't be found for the charcoal "it was then decided to make one
uniform product of charcoal to try to sell all over the country. Automatic
briquetting machinery and more dryers were installed and the Ford Charcoal
Briquet (FCB) was born! The Ford dealers all over the country were sent a
supply of the new FCB and every parts man will remember the initials, FCB."
>From Dave Tillman and other cited in "Black Gold: A History of Charcoal in
Missouri" by Robert Massengale, 2006. Authorhouse Press.
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/BookStoreSearchResults.aspx?SearchType=
smpl&SearchTerm=massengale  This is a great read.

Consolidation has led to a small number of briquette producers, the
principal ones being Kingsford and Royal Oak Enterprises. (Mr. EG Kingsford
was the first general manager of the Ford plant. He was a cousin of Ford's
by marriage.) In earlier discussions on this forum a Kingsford salesman told
us that grades of charcoal can be loaded out before blending and briquetting
and shipped in truckloads of 20 tons. So just get the charcoal in lumps or
before it is blended into the contaminated (or enriched) barbeque
briquettes.

Today a 400 ton per day plant to make charcoal and bio-oil would produce
about 60 tpd charcoal (at 15% yield) and cost about $30-50 million. A 400
ton per day plant to produce primarily charcoal would produce upwards of 120
tpd charcoal (at 30% yield). The cost should be substantially less. At an ex
plant cost of $100/ton the charcoal product from the primarily charcoal (120
tpd) plant would only be worth about $4 million per year so that other
products like electricity or oil would be needed to justify the investment.
Oil markets have not been established and electricity prices are low so
early bio-oil/charcoal plants are struggling or highly subsidized. We've
seen one of our two major briquette producers in Oregon (Royal Oak) shut
down in the last few years. Americans consume about 880,000 tons of charcoal
per year.

Tom Miles