[Terrapreta] peak oil and development

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 18:18:32 EDT 2007

With full respect to the fine soil scientists who inhabit this forum,
I would like to suggest what is probably obvious -- it is not a
concern for the soil that is the engine driving the global interest
in terra preta at this moment of history. The driving forces are the
shift to bio-fuels and the unrelenting march of energy intensive
development.

Two editorial pieces in today's NY Times are most illustrative.
Ethanol -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/opinion/19wed1.html?hp
Development -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/opinion/19friedman.html?hp

I'm looking at this from Brazil where deforestation of the Amazon has
slacked off in the past two years because of a global glut of soy and
unstable commodity prices. But the shift to bio-fuels is changing this,
rapidly! 55% of the sugar cane planted here last year was for ethanol
and the shortages of corn and soy caused new planting patterns in
the US are strengthening Brazil into the position of becoming the new
global mega-breadbasket.

The problems are immense and I don't see any practical way to to turn
around the the global drive toward energy intensive development. I portrayed

some of these dilemmas not as a scientist but as a storyteller writing from
the boonies of western Brazil.
http://lougold.blogspot.com/2007/08/expoacre-few-nights-ago-i-went-to-rodeo.html

In the present context Terra Preta might be best understood as mitigation
and healing
of past and present practices that have damaged the earth -- as a therapy
with clear
and present benefits such better productivity and sequestration.  Terra
Preta does seem
like a miracle cure. We know from our human realm, health can be a HUGE
business.
What is it that will trigger the "big boys" into terra preta? Surely,
Cargill, ADM and the
like can make and distribute charcoal. Surely, they would love to claim that
they are saving
the world. Why is it that so far I can't find any evidence that they or
other "major movers" are interested? Why isn't there an industrial scale
black gold rush?

Is it simply that the economics have not "ripened" yet? Will oil at $100 per
barrel be
the difference that makes the difference or a revision in government
subsidies or
what? Or, is the terra preta movement still in a R&D phase and not quite
ready for a
global launch? Or...?