[Terrapreta] CO2 rising

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sun Sep 23 19:36:25 EDT 2007

What if Hans has hit upon something...that there is no meaningfully
active carbon sink in present geological history, just very extremely
short duration carbon-fixing mainly in grass roots and tree trunks?
And microbial activity empties these very shallow sinks as quickly as
they can be formed.  The true carbon sinks - coal formations and oil
basins - are derived not from trees or grasses but rather seas of
algae grown in a high carbon dioxide atmosphere and then buried in
sediment by erosion and catastrophic earth upheavels, eons ago...

  If Hans' idea has validity, our only real choice would be make
those sinks ourselves, atom by atom...to return the atmosphere earth
to pre-industrial condition.  For every ton of fossil carbon fuel
burned, we should we fixing another ton back into a real sink...and
is that the earth as charcoal??

Gerrit