[Terrapreta] The Science of Terra Preta Formation

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 6 13:26:39 CDT 2008

Hi Greg, Kevin,

Based on work of others and on other archaeological observations, Michael Bailles and William Woods have suggested that the Pre-Columbian people recognized the value of charcoal in soil.  These same peoples may also have been able to recognize the value of adding fired pottery shards also.  There may have been improved growth evident in sites that had pottery shards.  They may not have needed to fill them with shit and garden with shit filled chamber pots at all to have noticed that fired pottery shards imparted benefits to the soils and increased its ability to promote the growth of plants.

Greg states that this new Flourite product helps improve cation exchange capacity (CEC).  This can be understood by anyone who has studied what CEC is and how it works.  It is also clear that soils with improved CEC grow more vigorous plants.  Again, no shit filled potery is required to make these observations.