[Terrapreta] Fw: (maybe controversial)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Apr 12 17:16:35 CDT 2008

Hi Lou,

LG:

Sean,

"Understanding and solving the problem of GW and GCC is beyond a religious and political need in our lives, I think."

No, we don't need to go beyond politics and religion. We to get to them and their promise.

,Lou

Okay?  Christians, Buddists, Muslims, Republicans, Democrats, peasants, and all rest of Earth's people can all suffer heat strokes, can all starve, and already all burn fossil fuels in the same way.  Neither religion, nor political sensibilities would effect any of that.  I will grant you that political will and religious fervor can effect the actions of many more people than most other things.  But, if some Christians believe in stewardship of the planet, then religious fervor might make all Muslims believe in the alternative.  Political or religious rivals might oppose us on political or religious grounds.  Political will is lacking.  Political will often means going against the mainstream.  I think we all need to see that we are in the same stream, regardless of politics or religion.

Go ahead and use political ideology or religious belief to effect a change for the right actions to combat GW/GCC.  I just do not see the value in using it religious or political affiliations support our cause or enact our work to combat GW/GCC.  Couldn't it stymie things badly if pro-choice advocates were believers in working towards a solution to the climate crisis?  What in the hell would the pro-lifers be doing in support of them?!

Un-huh, I say.  Get beyond the religious and political, lest we fall into that centuries old quagmire of disagreeing on religious or political grounds about something so important to agree upon and something too important for us act in concert together on.