[Terrapreta] Ponder the Maunder

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 15:11:35 CDT 2008

I couldn't agree more.

Greg H.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jim Joyner
  To: Terra Preta
  Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 13:44
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Ponder the Maunder

  Lou,

  It think we do agree much more than we disagree. I also agree with Mark that the agricultural focus should be in the forefront.

  Even if Global warming is anthropogenic and even if we can reverse the problem, we still have bigger problems. If we could flip a switch and the CO2 would go  back to the level of 150 years ago, we would still have serious problems.

  When we look at, e.g, biodiversity, we are loosing the fight. When we look the related subject of water and water quality, we are loosing the fight. When we look at the amount of arable ground we have, we are loosing ground, literally. Much of the problem we have with these is just plain poverty, not enough to eat. (There is the problem of too many people but that one is a little stickier and harder to define, something we are not going to do much about here anyway).

  More than anything else, if TP doesn't turn out to have a major agricultural value, then, for all intents and purposes, we are not going to use TP to sequester CO2.

  In all the contacts I have with USDA Extension Service I've not found a single person who has ever heard of TP (except from me). The SARE people haven't heard of it and don't want to hear about it (much like they treated Organic 20 years ago. So put on your cheerleader suit and start pushing the sustainable AG people.

  Jim