[Terrapreta] Earthen Kiln Conjecture

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 05:26:06 CDT 2008

I seem to get an undercurrent of "How could dumb Indians have worked this
out" though out a lot of TP discussions

America was far more populous than Europe in 1400. They also had huge
botanic gardens dwarfing anything Europeans had (The first Botanic garden in
Salerno Italy in c15 was pathetic by comparison).
The American were into plant breeding and crossing.
 Corn (on the cob) could not exist-or reproduce- without them.
 They had over 200 varieties of Chilli plants.

How come it is so difficult to accept that 1,000 years ago people knew more
about their environment and ecology than we do now?
We are such clutzes.  We have Union carbide, Monsanto and Dow Corp. to lead
the charge into ignorance.

The annihilation our diseases gave American natives was unprecedented in
human history.
Even the European plague killed only 30% of the population.
The American Indian annihilation was 90% ++ over and over again.

As someone has already mentioned their immune systems where different.

 (Guarding against parasites -malaria?- rather than bacteria.
Perhaps we could even find a cure for malaria in the Amazon?)

Another 2cents worth