[Terrapreta] Carbon Farming

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 04:52:40 CDT 2008

Folke, I agree and it's important to note that it is not an either/or. There
are two necessary strategies.

We must slow or halt additional serious contributions of GHGs. This means,
following Hansen, et al, no more deforestation and no more coal burning
(unless we have the ability to scrub out the CO2). In both cases, there will
have to be compensation for "lost opportunity costs" or else it ain't gonna
happen. REDD is an attempt to address deforestation. Coal is more difficult
but massive technology transfers have led the topics for discussion.

The second part of any GW strategy is to somehow roll back the carbon clock.
This requires carbon negative sequestration. Some form of biochar
agriculture and forestry is now being touted as the way to go.

We need both and both require massive funding in order to matter in the
timeline.

hugs and blessings,

lou