[Terrapreta] Ice-age anyone?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Apr 26 13:50:13 CDT 2008

Dear Max

MFH wrote:
> Apparently there is a theory that in fact the Earth is cooling, or rather,
> it would be cooling if this effect wasn't masked by the offset warming
> caused by excess CO2.

I think that what is going on might have a further layer of complexity.
1: Global Warming (Increased solar energy intensity and retention of
solar energy)
2: Global Dimming (Reduced solar energy reaching the earth because of
atmospheric effects
3: Global Cooling. Reduced solar energy intensity and reduced solar
energy retention.
4: Where we are in the Global Warming/Global Cooling cycle. (GW always
ends up as GC, and vice versa)

See: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html for an overview
that raises some interesting questions.  See:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_prog_summary.shtml
for a description of Global dimming,
and see: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2058273530743771382
for an excellent video on Global Dimming.

> I confess to wondering how this can be measured?

Meaningful measurements will provide the facts that lead to the truth.
Good measurements applied to the wrong hypothesis can lead to wrong answers.

I believe that belief is getting in the way of truth. :-) More
specifically, it seems to me that most people assume that GW is caused
by the activities of Man and that Man is able to reverse Global Warming,
Period. It seems to me that too many people have frozen their beliefs
too early. There seems to be general and widespread agreement that
temperatures have risen over the past 30 years, indicating that we are
indeed in a period of GW. Questions can be raised about:
1: The degree of rise that actually occurred (questionable data)
2: The rise that would have happened without the Global Dimming Effect
3: The present rate of rise (Is the rate of rise increasing, stable, or
falling. OR, has the "Rate of Rise" turned into a "Rate of Decline"?)
4: Changes in solar energy intensity, and in other sun related effects
that can impact on Earth's climate.
5: Other factors???

If a "Credible Hypothesis" is established, then measurements can be
identified to prove or disprove the Hypothesis. Some of the data and
measurements will already exists, but additional measurements may be
necessary. In my opinion, what we need is the equivalent to a "Unifying
Theory of Global Warming, Dimming and Cooling", and if this could be put
together and funded, we could easily tool up to get whatever
measurements were required.

Then we would have Science and we would be operating from fact and
truth. We could then dispense with consensus, belief, and division.

Best wishes,

Kevin