[Terrapreta] Ice-age anyone?

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Sun Apr 27 12:52:50 CDT 2008

Ron (and all)-------If there is any validity to this article,
"Melting Methane, A Storehouse of Greenhouse...", we have a problem
of the first order. This has been my worst fear with greenhouse gas
emissions.

We should have a better idea of the situation by the end of this
summer, 2008, as to what is happening to the temperature of the
waters off the Siberian coastline. I have seen NASA temperature maps
of the arctic coastline indicating that there has been a significant
increase in temperature of up to 5 degrees C on the Arctic coastline.
I didn't save those pictures and am unable to find them again.

A portion of this list, I subscribe to this thought, is very
interested in moving forward with the production of charcoal for use
on agricultural land. It seems that the dual characteristics of
burying charcoal, the potential for a significant increase in plant
growth and the sequestration of carbon, are inseparable. If charcoal
is, as in my experience, able to become reservoir for microbes and
nutrients then the soil accumulates carbon in a greater amount than
the charcoal that was buried. It's an added bonus for storing
atmospheric carbon in the form of charcoal. One example of this event
occurs with the production of glomalin, see: "Glomalin: Hiding Place
for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon".

In my work, I find buried charcoal in compacted soils where there are
no evidence of microbial activity or root association. Buried
charcoal needs to be placed in a good growing situation. It is absurd
to consider dumping charcoal down a mine shaft as a solution for
sequestration unless it holds toxins. Even then there are not enough
mine shafts to hold a significant amount of charcoal.

We may be forced to bury charcoal very soon, regardless if our
individual growing techniques towards achieving Terra Preta nova work
or not. I have had superb growth in one test plot. It seems that we
need to increase the "production momentum" for making charcoal less
we fail to match the release of gas hydrates (methane) from ocean
deposits. We are in a race to see if we can offset the release of
greenhouse gases with the burial of charcoal in soils that can grow
food.

Meditation does help to settle the nerves when I read an article like
"Melting Methane...".

Do notice the moments of pleasure and joy in each daily-------Larry

Background References:
Gas (Methane) Hydrates -- A New Frontier (Sept 1992)
@  http://marine.usgs.gov/fact-sheets/gas-hydrates/title.html

Methane Explosion Warmed the Prehistoric Earth, Possible Again (Dec
10 2001)
@ http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/20011212methane.html

-------------------

April 17, 2008

MELTING METHANE
A Storehouse of Greenhouse Gases Is Opening in Siberia

By Volker Mrasek
Researchers have found alarming evidence that the frozen Arctic floor
has started to thaw and release long-stored methane gas. The results
could be a catastrophic warming of the earth, since methane is a far
more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. But can the methane
also be used as fuel?