[Terrapreta] Charcoal and Salicylic acid

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 9 17:11:06 CST 2008

Never heard of this aspirin effect on plant growth.  I scrounged this
research article on salicylic acid as a phytohormone off the
Internet.  According to these researchers, aspirin induces the plant
to override stress-induced inhibition of growth. Thus it seems to be
like cocaine allowing the Inca runners to keep on going without
feeling tired on their long communication hauls...

Gerald

SALICYLIC ACID PREVENTS THE DAMAGING ACTION
OF STRESS FACTORS ON WHEAT PLANTS
A. R. Sakhabutdinova, D. R. Fatkhutdinova, M. V. Bezrukova, F. M.
Shakirova*
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics, Ufa Scientific Centre Russian
Academy of
Sciences, 69 pr. Octyabrya, 450054, Ufa, Russia
Summary. We investigated the effect of salicylic acid (SA) on plant
resist-
ance to environmental stress factors. Treatment of wheat plants with
0.05mM
SA increased the level of cell division within the apical meristem of
seedling
roots which caused an increase in plant growth. Phytohormones are known
to play a key role in plant growth regulation. It was found that the
SA treat-
ment caused accumulation of both ABA and IAA in wheat seedlings. How-
ever, the SA treatment did not influence cytokinin content. We
suppose, that
the protective and growth promoting effects of SA are due to the
phenomenon
described above. The SA treatment reduced the damaging action of
salinity
and water deficit on seedling growth and accelerated a restoration of
growth
processes.Treatment with SA essentially diminished the alteration of
phyto-
hormones levels in wheat seedlings under salinity and water deficit.
The SA
treatment prevented the decrease in IAA and cytokinin content completely
which reduced stress-induced inhibition of plant growth. Also, high ABA
levels were maintained in SA treated wheat seedlings which provided the
development of antistress reactions, for example, maintenance of
proline ac-
cumulation. Thus protective SA action includes the development of
antistress
programs and acceleration of normalization of growth processes after
removal
stress factors.

http://www.bio21.bas.bg/ipp/gapbfiles/essa-03/03_essa_314-319.pdf