[Terrapreta] TP and Global Warming

William Carr Jkirk3279 at qtm.net
Fri Feb 22 19:59:44 CST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Kurt Treutlein wrote:

> In order for TP to get rid of global warming every ton (and there
> are a
> multitude) of carbon from fossil fuel that is dug out of the earth
> EACH
> DAY would have to be buried back in the soil as charcoal EVERY DAY.

Terra Preta won't get rid of global warming all by itself, no.

Not without a mad push to REALLY go at it hammer and tongs,
fertilizing seawater in ponds, harvesting the algae and carbonizing it
while desalinating the seawater to pay for the operation.

But then, in the future there probably won't BE any more one-shot
fixes like petroleum.

We're used to cheap oil, and easy money.   Energy, plastics, asphalt,
all in one package !

  We will have to get smarter, fast, to keep things going.

Multiple approaches seem the way to go.

The oil from algae process can capture the CO2 directly from a fossil
fueled power plant and make a useful product from it.

Net:  no carbon emissions.

The oil from algae technology is actually taking off, as well as a
trial Jatrophra nut plantation for biodiesel.

And after these technologies ramp up to the 300 million barrel mark,
they're going to produce QUITE a bit of waste biomass while displacing
fossil fuel use.

If the Terra Preta technology is READY when that happens,  all that
biomass can become 'free' biochar, and the heat energy/steam/
electricity  plus the collected pyrolysis oil will pay for the process.

Now add in the carbon sequestration involved in multiple jatrophra nut
plantations.

Ever look up how many tons of roots are in a field of alfalfa ?

Megatonnage of roots under ground while the bushes live, and when they
die, carbonize them too with the trench method.   Plow and plant again.

Meanwhile other sources of energy can be phased in, Tidal power for
example.

One thing is for certain:  if we DO nothing, nothing will be done.