[Terrapreta] Soil Tilth and Biochar

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Jan 13 16:48:39 CST 2008

Next week (Jan 21-23) Oregon Tilth will present a workshop titled "Soils and
Sustainability" where Neal Kinsey will introduce the (William) Albrecht
methods of sustainability. Kinsey is author of HANDS-ON AGRONOMY:
Understanding Soil Fertility and Fertilizer Use. I don't see a mention of
biochar.

The effect of biochar on soil fertility should be of interest to
conventional, sustainable and organic farmers. As we enter the season of ag,
flower and garden conventions I wonder, are terra preta and the use of
charcoal (biochar) discussed in sustainable agriculture groups of this kind
the way we have seen on the Permaculture and SANET forums?

Tom

Links:

Oregon Tilth: http://www.tilth.org/events/kinsey.html

Kinsey: http://www.kinseyag.com/index.htm

Acres USA: http://www.acresusa.com/tapes/thumbnail.asp?catid=41
<http://www.acresusa.com/tapes/thumbnail.asp?catid=41&pcid=3> &pcid=3

Seattle tilth: http://www.seattletilth.org/

Sustainable Agriculture research and Education (SANET)
http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0608
<http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0608&L=sanet-mg&P=4225>
&L=sanet-mg&P=4225

Soil Quality, Improving How Soil works, USDA ARS http://soilquality.org

Batchelor, Permaculture and Biochar Development, Queensland,
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/batchelordec607