[Terrapreta] eprida char - organic?

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Jan 14 22:02:52 CST 2008

Nice summary statement Sean. You are exactly right but how do we get
from here to there.

Charcoal amendments also offer benefits to gardeners and growers who
are not fixated on 'organic'. Why not develop appeal to the whole
Monty? Just in North America we are looking at a multibillion $ retail
market alone. The issue is not that you or any producer of product
have an excellent product (or advice) to provide but  the reality
sandwich -  How do you get the consuming public to accept charcoal as
an additive they would want to buy and use? Simple statement of fact
as you put forth below is not enough. I have some ideas along this
line.  Ahem

I think we need a non-profit to coordinate the  effort of getting
charcoal in use in agriculture. A book or books and DVD's have a much
longer lifespan than an article or a blog posting especially if it
appeals to pop culture. I'm thinking of Lee Fryer's book, Food, Power
from the Sea, that came out on seaweed /fertilizer in the 70's (still
in print). Or the British predecessor , Stephenson and his book,
Seaweed in Agriculture and Horticulture.

These books have lives of their own. We need pop books and video's to
educate the public. Now we live in a new era with new means of
communication. We have Youtube for one example of who offers a special
set of services to non-profits. Another dimension is available so why
not get organized and use it to create a grass roots movement to get
the public and government to recognize the world saving features of
sequestering charcoal, in every dimension from self help to retail
products.

Check this out  http://www.youtube.com/nonprofits

  - the Youtube Nonprofit program, Broadcast your Cause with
Premium branding capabilities and increased uploading capacity
Rotation of your videos in the "Promoted Videos" areas throughout the
site
The option to drive fundraising through a Google Checkout "Donate"
button

all  we would need is  501c3 status

Where there is a developing demand for agricultural charcoal and
products with this as a component the producers will come to play. We
have a paradigm change coming too. Local/regional production of food
and manufactured goods are a luxury now but is rapidly developing into
a necessity because of energy resource depletion. The way I am viewing
things from here because of the nature of the feedstock - waste wood
and agricultural waste, charcoal production will be decentralized. so
why not create a centralized group to aid the emerging industry and
the emerging practice of sequestering charcoal.

Just to make this a case study of this -  what came along with Frier's
Seaweed book was public speaking events. ' speaking Tonight is Sean
Barry author of Charcoal and the new agriculture' or Larry williams or
whomever does this. Such a book could also be a series of
contributions from this site edited by Tom.

What came along with this kind of public promotion of seaweed was a
series of demonstration programs. Fryer worked the corn belt in the
70's and set up the kinds of demonstration programs with farmers in
the same way the hybrid corn growers promoted their new seed strains.
I followed this for a while during this period to learn his modus
operandi. When it was time to read the results he did it with
audiences and seminars on the topic with hundreds of people.

During the early 1970's I also developed seaweed fertilizer and feed/
food supplement products. We deployed a standard product and market
testing  process - make some product and take it to the consumer.
Getting merchants to give us shelf space was easy. We emulated the
Fryer model by a research program, by attending home and garden shows,
and conducting consumer intercepts and interviews. Over a 4 year
period (starting up twice between 1973 and 82' ) we opened a market
for our line of retail fertilizer and animal feed supplement. It all
came to a rolling stop when the state decided our small scale harvest
of bull kelp disturbed fish habitat.

The point is that it is not easy or cheap to do this and perhaps what
we need is a MBA (mutual beneficial association) a non profit category
recognized by government funding agencies to promote the various ways
uses of charcoal in agriculture with open source information and
encouragement of emerging business ventures. Such an organization
could also solicit and receive industry support. And get public
support to further the mission of using charcoal to counterbalance
carbon emissions.

best

Rich