[Terrapreta] Exotic' species alter soil fertility

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 1 06:55:06 CDT 2008

(A recent USA study bemoaned the fact that the introduced earthworm was
changing USA soil irrecoverably.)

"Lots of sources say that there aren't any native worms in North America,
but it's not true: in the south and the west there were plenty of worms to
start with, but there weren't any native earthworms in the northeast after
the last glacier receded.  And the non-native worms have changed the
northeastern forests.

According to 2003 research
<http://www.zimbio.com/pilot?ZURL=%2FComposting%2Farticles%2F119%2FA%2BWorm%
2BFarm&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencedaily.com%2Freleases%2F2003%2F06%2F030625
090207.htm> , when earthworms move into a new area, they feed on the organic
material on the forest floor and bring it down into their burrows. They feed
primarily on the top layer of leaf litter, as well as on the duff - the
spongy layer of decomposing vegetation beneath the leaf litter. .Earthworms
do an excellent job of recycling nutrients, but "when they eat away the duff
layer, all the plant seeds that germinate there, like trillium and
mayflowers and wood anemone, may disappear or may not have any place to
germinate. Other creatures that live in the duff and forest litter like
salamanders and ground-nesting birds may be affected as well. Within a
decade or two, the worms can essentially change the soil profile into
something like the black mineral-rich soils that are found in many European
forests.

  _____