[Terrapreta] FAO recognizes importance of C-sequestration in soilsat high-level conference

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Jun 1 14:41:46 CDT 2008

Hi Lorenzo,

This is a fantastic posting.  I am very enthused by this news.  There is no direct mention (as you have said) of "biochar" or the formation of Terra Preta soils using biochar-in-soil in the document below.  But, the description in section 8. that you highlighted is almost a definition of what the possibilities of TP soils formation are, particularly that which I highlighted in blue.

I think this document clearly shows that TP soils formation can and will become part of the new work we can do towards solving BOTH the growing climate problems and helping to improve food production (agricultural productiivity), improving the plights of millions of agrarian people living in places where food production and local economics are very poor.

If "biochar-in-soil" can be given the true economic value as a climate mitigation styrategy that I think it deserves, then this could help the livelihoods tens or hundreds of millions of people.  When Terra Preta soils formation produces increased soil fertility and agricultural productivity, then this too can help tens or hundreds of millions of people.  Working on the formation of Terra Preta soils by carbonizing biomass into biochar and investing it into soil carbon banks can remove carbon directly from the atmosphere and it will sequester the carbon for many centuries or even many millennia.  This isn't theory.  It is common sense in my opinion.

Somehow we need to make a presentation to the FAO that Terra Preta soils formation IS what they are talking about in section 8 of this document.  We have a way to make their objectives a very viable reality.  They need to know this.