[Terrapreta] no instantaneousness = no overnight

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Jun 2 07:53:40 CDT 2008

Dear Michael

Michael Bailes wrote:
> I worry a little when we just talk about Char as it is the total TP story.
> Certainly it is the part of TP that western agriculture that has
> ignored, up to now.
> However worms have to eat something and that means SOM, unless someone
> discovers they eat glomalin or some similar substance produced by the
> catalyst effect of char.

Very interesting observation!! I wonder if the charcoal protects
Glomalin from such "earthworm predators. I wonder also if there is some
other "second layer effect" with Humic and Fulvic Acids.

Earthworms make "earthworm castings." Glomalin makes soil aggregates. Do
earthworm castings retain their structure as well as the aggregates made
using Glomalin? Will earthworms eat charcoal of ingestible size or avoid it?

In one of my next lives, I'm going to apply to be a Soil Scientist. :-)

Kevin