[Terrapreta] cover cropping as a charcoal in soil evaluation.

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Jun 15 09:28:48 CDT 2008

Terrapreta reading listers

My introduction to using charcoal in soil for agricultural purposes
came in 2004 at the conference held at University of Georgia.
Returning and very enthused to give it a try I set up some experiments
using purchased lump charcoal and inoculation of red alder with
Frankia, a root nodule, nitrogen fixing organism.

That winter, 2004-5 I met by way of conversations on line with the
gasification list, John Flottvik and learned about his work with a
pilot plant pyrolyser. At the time he was working less than an hour
drive from our farm just across the border in British  Columbia. John
graciously offered to donate a tote of charcoal powder for my research
program.

Finally, John here are some results from that work. !!

At the time three of our adjacent fields were fallow and we were cover
cropping with gray oats beginning in early fall. We grow in these
fields native plants in small blocks. Sometimes as many as 100 species
of plants. It was interesting to note that mineral uptake by the
different crops showed in the cover crop then uniformly planted on the
field. Here is an image of that gray oats cover crop taken fall 2004.
Note that on the far left the cover crop had already been worked down
and on the right the field had heeled in stock. In the foreground a
general mottled growth in the gray oats can be seen from differing
fertility.

Wouldn't it be interesting then to treat several bands of these fields
with this charcoal powder, crop the field for 2 years and then use a
later cover crop planting to determine if the charcoal was having an
effect on the soil fertility. We then worked in the gray oats and
treated two bands of 6 seedbeds (each seedbed is 50 inches by 500
feet.) with aisles for tractor wheels, making 8 feet. The charcoal
powder was mixed with commercial compost and applied to each seed bed
strip with a manure spreader. We never did have a weight of the
charcoal in the tote but I estimate we put 100 lbs of charcoal on each
strip. Quite a bit of it as you can see in these images went airborne
but the soil surface wound up black in the right places. Here,  here
and here are several images to show what we did at that time is our
charcoal application

The untreated beds were given compost without charcoal powder and the
entire field received a single treatment of  commercial fertilizer, a
5 - 10 -10 with micronutrients , a formulation we are no longer
using.  After planting, a light application of urea was used in late
June when the seedlings were well established. Typically on our farm,
a bare root nursery, we harvest parts of each field and leave the rest
for harvest in second year. The blank spots in the field are usually
filled in with transplants and our normal cycle of cropping any field
is then completed in 2 growing seasons. Worst case happened though for
this charcoal experiment as we were not able to clear the entire 3
fields and reestablish cover crop because we needed the production
space and replanted without fallowing.

We were able to cover crop one side of field 3 that had 2 rows treated
with charcoal powder and the remainder untreated. My cover crop this
spring was an early planting of mustard (Brassica). We planted the
mustard in March and have just worked it in on June 12. The results
are most encouraging to me but because we were not able to treat the
entire 3 fields in this way will have to wait for more conclusive
observations and soil testing.  These pictures show very distinct
differences in growth of the mustard cover crop that received charcoal
powder versus untreated. As we are replanting the entire set of fields
spring 2009 then the next opportunity to view this cover crop effect
will be 2011 or 12.

My conclusion is that we need to be conducting long term evaluation of
charcoal effects in soil. This cover crop method may be the best way
to show beneficial effects. Our soil management methods are pretty
much mainstream in that we use commercial fertilizer and urea. Here is
an indication that the use of charcoal has a positive effect on soil
fertility and that the use of charcoal may reduce the need for
fertilizer applications at our present usage rates.

Rich Haard, Fourth Corner Nurseries, Bellingham, Washington