[Terrapreta] What is TP?

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Jun 22 10:24:40 CDT 2008

Here is a starting point.

> What would you suggest as a way to proceed from here?

First - Why use the term at all?  Second does the what question have a
answer or is this a complex research topic for the scientific community?

Other than having having less to talk/write about ;>) why not just
drop the term and instead use biochar to describe 'the intentional use
of charcoal in agriculture'.

The term terrapreta does come with a certain amount of baggage that
could be separated from or omitted from the discussion in my own
search for best uses of charcoal. If all we are doing here is  is
development of best practices for charcoal in soil and to trap
atmospheric carbon, answering further questions on the mystery of
these Amazon ancient anthropogenic soils is a distraction and besides
this terrapreta stuff it is not what we have in our hands here in the
temperate zone.

Rich