[Terrapreta] CO2 in the Oceans

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 24 11:18:22 CDT 2008

Dear William

On 20 June, Marc made the following observation:

"Ice core data clearly shows that mean temperature determines CO2
concentration, and not the reverse. There's a lag of about 800 years
between a temperature change and a corresponding change in CO2
concentration. Those two curves - CO2 and temperature - are the ones
used by Gore in An Inconvenient Truth...only he shifts them in time
so that they appear to coincide. Not the only lie in that movie, but
certainly the crucial one.

Nobody has disputed the truth of his statement. Nobody has shown where it is wrong.

Based on this "adjustment of fact", Gore is then able to come to the conclusion that Global Warming is caused by increased CO2 in the atmosphere. If his conclusions are based on faulty data, then his conclusions are faulty. Garbage in, garbage out.

If we assume that 24,900 miles is the circumference of the earth through the poles, and if the Shadow and Stick method gives a reading of 24,900 miles, then it is a valid method for measuring the circumference. If the "tea leaves, duct tape and goose" method yields results which are processed and adjusted by someone knowing how to use that measurement system, and if this method also yields 24,900 miles, then these two methods are consistent.

The reality is that the true circumference of the Earth is 24 854.847 689 miles through the poles. So, if the "Stick and Shadow" method gives the wrong results, when that the "tea leaves, duct tape, and goose" method gives the same wrong results, then it is condemned to wrongness also.

In very brief and blunt summary, if Gore jiggled and distorted scientific data in order to get the conclusions he wanted, and if Hansen came to the same conclusion using different methods, both Gore and Hansen are wrong. Period.

You state: "Non-Sequiter.    Independent processes leading to common results does
not imply a false output just because you disagree."

You are off track here. My opinion of Gore or Hansen, or my opinion on Global Warming, does not enter the matter at all. My conclusions are based simply on the observation of what will result when someone jiggles and distorts data to get the conclusion they wants.

It will be wonderful when Tom sets up the other List, so that all discussion on Climate Change can take place there, and allow this list to concentrate on matters relating to carbon in the soil.

Best wishes,

Kevin