[Terrapreta] two recent articles on TP

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Mar 1 06:53:54 CST 2008

Dear Michael

Michael Bailes wrote:
> It would be a lot easier if everyone ate delicious Kangaroo like Australians.
>
>  "The Kangaroo can jump incredible,
> He has to jump because he is edible,
> I could not eat a kangaroo,
> But many fine Australians do,
> Those with cookbooks as well as boomerangs,
> Prefer him in tasty kangaroomeringues."
> -Ogden Nash

The Kangaroo digestive system does seem to be more efficient that the
cattle system, so, on the one hand, they should require less feed input
per pound of weight gain. On the other hand perhaps their metabolism is
such that they burn off a higher percentage of their input nutrition
with their greater activity.
> I had a NZ Primary Industries representative at the IAI confrence last
> year insist that burping was more important (GHG wise) than farting.
> he said it was resposnsible for 40% of NZs total emmisions.

Very interesting!! If a distinction was made between "fossil sourced CO2
and Methane" in comparison to "biomass sourced CO2 and Methane", NZ
could show a significant change in their GHG contribution, simply by a
"change in the evaluation criteria."
> .
> Also Tim Flannery, at the same conference, said methane levels have
> been going DOWN for the last eight years. No one seems to know why.

I don't have any references for it, but I seem to recall that a few
years ago, there was a study undertaken to show that "air over land" had
higher GHG content than "air over ocean." The study gave the surprising
result that the "air over water" had HIGHER GHG content. One credible
explanation is that the ocean is warming and that it is losing its
capability to dissolve such gases.explanation.  Is it possible  that the
explanation of Tim's observation is as simple as average wind direction?

Best wishes,

Kevin