[Terrapreta] (correction) Re: New Article

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Mar 11 13:02:19 CDT 2008

Me too

Thanks for responding Lou, this is very helpful considering your
location. I want to refine this dialog in order to appeal to the
institutions who should be engaged in the front end work to broaden
the use of biochar in agriculture to the '300 to 500 million'
subsistence farmers engaged in slash and burn agriculture in the humid
tropics.

Yesterday, Erich posted a link to Biochar fund.com This is a very rich
website  and is an example of an organization working in a venue where
it is needed, Cameroon and Democratic Republic of Congo. Their page,
What is biochar?  gives the basic information that has been offered by
Drs Lehmann and Steiner
but yet has not been picked up by Rockefeller Foundation, et al
because this technology has not yet reached mainstream. Biochar Fund's
page 'Flexi-Pyrolysis' shows us how they are working in isolated
communities of the forest frontier and how they are using producer gas
from a small scale pyrolyser for 25 kwH village power plants.

Now I think this topic,  terra preta nova, and the use of charcoal in
soil should be discussed as two separate chapters:
1.  temperate and arid zones, and 2. humid tropics with Oxisol soil
environment

In the moist, temperate latitudes soils tend to retain organic matter
longer, are less likely to be highly acid due to leaching, in many
cases are nutrient enriched by 'recent' glacial deposition, soil
respiration and microbial diversity and rates of population response
are quite different from the humid tropics.  Research is now advancing
in this arena by mainstream science and further experience is
collectively gained by general interest. Nutrient management and
cropping strategies for farmers and gardeners will improve as we learn
more about charcoal use in this climate and to make it widely
available. Here it is still a work in progress.

In the humid tropics, oxisol soil environment everything is different.
The research has gone far enough to allow mainstream scientists
recommendation for  a change in agricultural practice from shifting
agriculture to slash and char. Here there are  300 to 500 million
subsistence farmers clearing primary and secondary forest in order to
crop a plot for 2-3 years before production crashes. In this periodic
forest clearing process the  woody biomass is burned, releasing carbon
to the atmosphere that amounts to 20 % of our global  greenhouse gas
emissions from the tropics alone.

Yet Biochar fund.com and others on the ground in this difficult place
to work have not yet intervened with practices of handling
agricultural waste and forest slash to make biochar by smoldering
combustion directly in the fields. Burning converts 1-2 5 of the
biomass to char and smoldering combustion 40% or more. The solution
that is offered by them is an appliance located in the village so they
can transport the char back to the field for application. To use
biofuels for village power is a good thing but what  percentage of ag
waste and timber slash is converted? This then is a partial solution
especially when the TPp creators used stone implements for land
clearing and their lack of the steel axe alone prevented them from
conducting shifting agriculture.

In the humid tropics this destructive land use cycle must be stopped.
Is a village pyrolysis/power unit the answer? I do not think so. Great
for demonstration of use of charcoal in soil but the farmers need to
immerse themselves in slash and char production systems. At the same
time as their work proceeds on independent track low technology, in
field techniques need to be refined and education/workshops to spread
this knowledge.

This anyway is why I attempted to use 'google' as a model , a grass
roots application of a concept that can be done by anyone rather than
wait for funding of a industrial appliance, a black box of science to
accomplish what these 'primitives' did long before the industrial
revolution.

Best

Rich