[Terrapreta] Biomass sources

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Tue Mar 18 06:28:00 CDT 2008

          from          Lewis L Smith

My agricultural experience is with alfalfa, cane and elephant grass, but I
sense the following from our discussions of terra preta.

In the abandoned fields found under the Amazonia vegetation, there is
obviously a mix of materials of which a form of char is the most important. And
obviously it is a mix, not just the char alone, that made for the agricultural
success of what we may call the "terra preta system" of cultivation.

What we still do not know is which of the other materials were deliberately
put there to make the system work and which represent accidental trash of the
former inhabitants, especially when they were all dying off from small pox or
whatever. A good example are the chards from large ceramic pots.

In brief, terra preta seems to work because of a "recipe", but we still do
not know the recipe.

Cordially.   ###

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on
AOL Money & Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)