[Terrapreta] this may be of interest 'Rocket Stove Charcoal Retort'

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 02:58:05 CDT 2008

Dear Michaelangelica,

Turtle has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Rocket
Stove Charcoal Retort - in the Terra Preta forum of Science Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.hypography.com/terra-preta/12347-rocket-stove-charcoal-retort-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
***************
I'm always on the hunt for good trash, and last Christmas I scored a nice
steel drum that I set aside for another possible charcoal stove. Anyway, I
got around to messing with it and here is what I found. This is a Heinekin
mini-keg for beer, capacity 5 litres (1.33 gallon), it is steel, 6" diameter
& ~9" tall. I pulled out the spout leaving a 1" hole, and inside I could see
a white cylinder, too big to fit out the hole. Cutting open the end, I took
out the cylinder measuring 1 3/4" diameter & 5 3/4" high, and made of
aluminium. Tearing apart the little cylinder, I found inside...charcoal!!!
:eek: What a coinkydink. :hyper:

The big can says patented pressurization, so I suspect the charcoal keeps
the gas, mostly likely CO2, from liquifying? In any case, given this is a
food 'additive', the charcoal is surely activated charcoal. :shrug:

Here's the goods. :fire: :turtle:

--
Michael the Archangel
What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!