[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Mar 30 16:20:39 CDT 2008

Larry,

To explain my reasoning:

I see compost as a method of delivering charcoal to the urban/suburban
homeowner. It is a method of packaging charcoal in a premixed nutrient
package that is easy for our consumers to buy. Think of it as a bulk "black
magic". The energy consumed for processing is not much different than the
soil and compost products currently available, just add charcoal . I have
previously surmised that if you put such a mix into new construction of the
kind that you have described you should really see the results in about
three years. I haven't done that but I think I'm right.

In the case of the rural smallholder the energy input is labor to make the
charcoal and labor to create the compost, compost tea, digestate, etc . If
the result is increased productivity and increased drought resistance then
it is worthwhile for locations like the Sahel, the Gambia etc.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestate )

I was discussing TP with a friend who is seeing impressive results in the
second year of pot trials with charcoal. The first year was not impressive
but the second year has been very impressive.  That first growing season is
probably taken up with the inoculation and adaptation.

If we change our expectations can we skip separate composting and compost in
situ by mixing the ingredients and letting nature take its course? All
application and site specific, or course.

Tom