[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Mar 30 19:41:55 CDT 2008

Hi Larry, Tom,

I think you express the "let's get on with it" feeling here, Tom ...

If we change our expectations can we skip separate composting and compost in situ by mixing the ingredients and letting nature take its course? All application and site specific, of course

It sure begins to look like combinations of compost + charcoal is a big part of the working Terra Preat recipe.  Separate tests to determine which is the more effective component and/or how and where to apply what takes time and ignores the possibility that there is a significant "synergy" (which we don't understand) that can go on between compost & charcoal in all soils.  Maybe this is what the Pre-Columbian people recognized?

What Wayne said earlier seems to make a lot of sense, too ...

The biggest advantage of adding char to compost (aside from the sequestration over the long term) is that it reduces leaching losses of nitrogen compounds, keeping nutrient available for plants for longer periods.

As Tom suggests, we can just begin to mix this stuff up and get on with making TP soils, not knowing exactly why, if it does seems to work in some way better than other things tried so far.  To make forming Terra Preta take off as an agricultural soil practice, it needs to show viability or a least promise real soon, to farmers and other agricultural users especially.  The sites that have used combination of charcoal + compost or charcoal + compost tea are showing the most promise.  The combination of compost and compost teas + charcoal could be the new best focus on how to actually begin to make Terra Preta soils?

Get on with it ...