[Terrapreta] Char sizes

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 5 20:37:38 CDT 2008

Is anyone able to assist with any data on the particle sizes of the char in
the TP soils?  I can't locate this data anywhere.

I suspect that this has a bearing on the effectiveness of the added char,
e.g. the available surface area for a 1mm char particle is likely to be
relatively much greater than for a piece of char the size of a golf ball.

Surface areas for activated charcoal are in the region of 500 m2+ per gram
(i.e. twice the area of a tennis court), but again I cannot find any
equivalent data for un-activated char but its obviously much less or why
bother with the activation process. (which at its simplest is done by steam
injection at 600deg+, but again, with what size particles?)

Max H