[Terrapreta] Char sizes

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Tue May 6 02:49:59 CDT 2008

Max and list members-------With the learned folks on this list, I
really need a comment or two on whether this set of pictures
represent an effective component to the Terra Preta nova concept that
is being explored in the temperate Pacific Northwest.

Do note that the soil was/ is very high in organics and has been so
for around 12 years. I have no way of knowing if Dr. Wardle tests
apply to this situation or not. I do know that the Swiss Chard above
these chunks of charcoal was 42" high. The largest that I have ever
seen in this garden or anywhere else. This is low fired charcoal made
in the presence of wood smoke and sizzling meat. Some on this list
may remember the Weber charcoal claim.

The garden soil was as rich as I could provide. And yes, I blew the
second year's result, I believe, with to much lime when I have never
used lime before. Do look at the link provided. Your gardener-------
Larry