[Terrapreta] Char sizes

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue May 6 11:33:17 CDT 2008

Dear Larry

Larry Williams wrote:
> Kevin-------Thanks for the comments. Can you act on any of them?

Yes!
I can easily make good char in my gasifier, when operated in the
appropriate manner.
1: I am definitely going to try the urinated charcoal for protection
against deer and raccoons. The damned coons took 15% of my Sugar beet
crop last year. (I had 20 beets in, and they took 3, the little buggers.

2: I'm very busy now, but hope to put in a charcoal test plot this
summer. I have a bunch of wood pellet charcoal I made, and am going to
try the "tire trick" to crush it. It is relatively strong, and would be
a reasonable test. I think "fine is best", simply for the benefit of
better distribution within the soil column.

3: I'm going to try "sunk char", to tap into the benefits of your
observation.

> While sleeping on those thoughts, I was reminded of the US Forest
> Service researcher, Alex Shigo
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Shigo>, who discovered the defense
> mechanism that trees have to protect themselves from disease. He was
> in a search for how to best protect the board footage (cubic board
> foot) within a forest for the marketplace.
>
> When we are threaten we can either fight or run. He noted that we are
> bags of muscles supported by a skeleton system and without our
> skeleton we could not move into action for our own defense. Where as,
> a tree is unable to act except in a static position, i.e. in place.
> There are some exception where trees can grow towards a nutrient
> source and thus, over time, move their mass towards a better growing
> situation.
>
> Shigo discovered that a tree had 5 defensive barriers that slow and
> directs the movement of disease within a tree. He named this
> protective system the Compartmentalization of Decay in Trees (CODIT)
> and it is widely used in the arboricultural industries. If we are to
> grow trees to be used in the production of charcoal then his research
> findings will be helpful. He did think out of the box.

Cute!! I didn't know that. Thanks.

> One of the ideas that he promoted after his 35 years with the Forest
> Service was to "Touch Trees". He wanted persons interested in
> arboriculture to visually and physical work with trees. This is more
> than to touch and feel. It is to observe and report without
> judgement... in order to learn.
>
> Nay sayers will shoot holes in any ideas without a solid basis for why
> the ideas don't work. Like in grade school, "show your work". This is
> the only way that we will learn how best to use charcoal. My friend...
> *iss on it. What does you charcoal tell you?

I find Accountants, Bankers, the Very Devout, and close-minded Engineers
are especially devoid of original thought. ;-)

> The earth will teach us something yet. Be well-------Larry

Mother Nature is a bitch, but at least she is consistent. If we watch
her moves, we can learn a lot.

Best wishes,

Kevin