[Terrapreta] Your input needed: "Soil health" at Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:26:11 CDT 2008

Thanks Kevin for your elaboration. It's good to discuss this with you.

I find that upon deeper consideration that we both agree and disagree or,
less presumingly, let me say that I both agree and disagree with you.

We surely agree that politics and government can make terrible mistakes and
cause major distortions. Subsidies for corn ethanol are a case-in-point.

But we disagree about thinking that some invisible hand of free market
economics can solve the problem. There is no free market out there to make
your test of letting everything "rise and fall on its own." The present form
of modern agriculture is ALREADY subsidized (in the industrial world) at the
level of one billion dollars a day. YES, of course, this has produced
distortions -- massive ones -- and the playing field has been so warped that
the free competition that you might like is not possible without the
countervailing force of government intervention.

But beyond the economic and political analytics lies something more
fundamental. The things that you want to see as separate (in good
reductionist manner) are in reality connected. Here is a single example: you
want to separate waste management and soil restoration? The dead zone of the
Gulf of Mexico is the result of fertilizer run-offs from Midwest
agriculture. If something can help the soil retain the fertilizer (perhaps
biochar) waste management and soil restoration become the same thing. The
healing lies in the connection!

I'm afraid Kevin that when I say "we must tie things together" that you
always imagine some "demon gummint" but I am talking about the healing that
comes from tying things together in a mind that is reaching beyond the old
separations.

When and if we can see things more as wholes and less in separation both
government and politicians will become more like important co-creators
helping to guide our collective ship of state. I understand that we have a
long way to go and I also understand the direction that I think best. All I
ask from others who disagree is that they think about it.

hugs, thanks and blessings,

lou