[Terrapreta] Your input needed: "Soil health" at Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon May 12 18:42:54 CDT 2008

Dear Lou

lou gold wrote:

> Thanks Kevin for your elaboration. It's good to discuss this with
> you.I find that upon deeper consideration that we both agree and
> disagree or, less presumingly, let me say that I both agree and
> disagree with you.We surely agree that politics and government can
> make terrible mistakes and cause major distortions. Subsidies for corn
> ethanol are a case-in-point.

It is good that we review our differences. Sometimes, people other than
ourselves have the answers. ;-)

> But we disagree about thinking that some invisible hand of free market
> economics can solve the problem. There is no free market out there to
> make your test of letting everything "rise and fall on its own." The
> present form of modern agriculture is ALREADY subsidized (in the
> industrial world) at the level of one billion dollars a day. YES, of
> course, this has produced distortions -- massive ones -- and the
> playing field has been so warped that the free competition that you
> might like is not possible without the countervailing force of
> government intervention.

Actually, I think we are in agreement on the unworkability, unfairness
and probable non-existance of the "invisible hand" as Adam Smith
intended the concept. I think what we do have is indeed an "invisible
hand",  that functions  in a manner to benefit  the few, at teh expense
of teh many.

> But beyond the economic and political analytics lies something more
> fundamental. The things that you want to see as separate (in good
> reductionist manner) are in reality connected. Here is a single
> example: you want to separate waste management and soil restoration?
> The dead zone of the Gulf of Mexico is the result of fertilizer
> run-offs from Midwest agriculture. If something can help the soil
> retain the fertilizer (perhaps biochar) waste management and soil
> restoration become the same thing. The healing lies in the connection!

OK... If I am the Farmer that buys the char for my farm, I will not buy
the charcoal unless it pays for itself. If it is cheaper for me to
mwaste a bit of fertilizer, tehn thats what I will do. I find I can make
more money if I externalize my costs, just like the Big Guys do. :-)

> I'm afraid Kevin that when I say "we must tie things together" that
> you always imagine some "demon gummint" but I am talking about the
> healing that comes from tying things together in a mind that is
> reaching beyond the old separations.

How come it is always us Little Guys that have to do "the right thing?"
As the song says...
"Its the Rich that gets the pleasure
Its the Poor that gets the Pain
Its the same the whole world over.
Isn't that a bleeding shame?"

> When and if we can see things more as wholes and less in separation
> both government and politicians will become more like important
> co-creators helping to guide our collective ship of state. I
> understand that we have a long way to go and I also understand the
> direction that I think best. All I ask from others who disagree is
> that they think about it.

Leave room for us little fellas to do what works. Don't encumber us with
tied obligations that can lead to the Baby being flushed with the Bathwater.

Best wishes,

Kevin