[Terrapreta] Your input needed: "Soil health" at Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 12 07:54:49 CDT 2008

Hi Kevin,

>     lou gold wrote:
>
>         I think we totally agree that the solution takes the form of
>         tying biofuel production to biochar, waste management and soil
>         restoration. Otherwise it will be just another "new variable"
>         binge as fossil fuel was.

I know you CANNOT adhere to this, but we do need to tie the four together.

1) We CANNOT continue to burn fossil carbon fuels into CO2 emissions to the atmosphere.
2) We MUST reduce the concentrations of CO2 (and other GHGs) in the atmosphere by all means possible and as soon as possible.
3) There is already in a food crisis in many parts of the world. With continued human induced climate changes food problems will only get worse.
4) Bio-energy is "carbon-neutral" and can serve as a replacement for some of the fossil fuel energy that we can no longer afford to use.
5) Biochar introduced to some soils HAS ALREADY performed a near miracle with increasing food production capacity.
6) Pyrolysis systems that convert biomass to bioenergy and charcoal already exist.

Terra Preta Nova has the capacity to deliver simultaneously some solutions to many of the problems we face.  I think that using biomass and waste conversion to BOTH bio-energy (in the forms of sensible, usable heat and combustible gases) AND charcoal for charcoal-in-soil sequestration is a very viable path for us to take in trying to remedy these problems.  Biomass is finite.  No more so than coal or oil, though.  Biomass is however "carbon neutral" and fossil carbon is NOT.  Biomass chemistry is finite.  So harvesting BOTH bio-energy AND charcoal will require more biomass feedstock.  Twice as much, at least.  We will need to replace lost fossil fuel energy with energy converted from other sources, too; nuclear, solar, geothermal, wind, hydro/tidal power, etc.

Although you resist tying together biomass conversion to biochar for soil and biomass conversion for bio-energy, there are others who think and will act beyond your admonitions.  Some might even sell biochar to farmers for less ($50/ton) instead of selling it for more as fuel (at $300/ton).  Some people can see beyond the end of their own fork.  I am keenly aware that avarice, convenience, and continuation of the "American Way of Life" are powerful forces fighting against this plan.

My guess is hunger and thirst will override even these purile sentiments.