[Terrapreta] Energy Source

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon May 12 08:19:36 CDT 2008

Hi Max,

Thanks.  I'm sure your results can show that pyrolysis of biomass contains releases more than enough energy to carbonize the bulk of the biomass and still leave plenty of available energy for other sources.  There are some processes that convert biomass to oils, liquids, and chars that use only external energy sources (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization> or talk to Brian Hans).

What strikes me about using external energy, it that is can allow greater yields for all of biochemical liquids for chemical feedstocks, combustible gases for bio-energy, and charcoal for charcoal-in-soil sequestration.  This does not preclude pyrolysis with energy converted only from the pyrolysis feedstock itself.  I know this too will work.  The yields with external energy may be better, though, and the possibility of NO CO2 emissions is also a possible and laudible goal.